The Journey Begins with a Single Step

“We must overcome the notion that we must be regular... it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary." Uta Hagen

It’s 9:15 pm and I am completely exhausted. I want more than anything to crawl into my soft bed, turn off the lights and snuggle under blankets in my dark bedroom, but tonight I am sleeping at the Dallas Life foundation. The glowing florescent lights above my assigned bed will not go off until 10:15, the TV is on, and there is raucous game of spades going on in the corner of the room. Although the dorm is lively and loud, I feel lonely and isolated on my twin bed in the middle of the warehouse room. My angels tonight are my Back on My Feet family, with familiar smiles and comforting hugs. I know that I can count on my teammates to welcome me and show me the tricks of the trade. We are blessed to be bonded teammates, and friends.

I am so fortunate to work for an amazing non-profit organization which supports the self sufficiency of those experiencing homelessness by first engaging them in running as a means to build confidence and self-esteem. I get to witness new members smelling their first pair of running shoes, the high fives when crossing the finish line of a first race , the hard work and commitment that goes into training for a half marathon, and the utter relief when receiving housing and a new job. My best friends are vets, and single parents, recovering addicts and businessmen. I wholeheartedly believe that they can succeed in whatever it is they want to do, and they inspire me to always reach inside for more.

I am running the Wasatch 100 trail race on September 7, 2012- advertised as “the world’s toughest 100 mile run.” By completing this run, I hope to continue to inspire those who think that they cannot. I ask a lot of them, and expect excellence…and believe that they should expect nothing less from me.

As I embark on this journey, I will complete several long training runs and races along the way….baby steps toward my bigger goal. I’m hoping that you too will join me on this adventure by making a donation to Back on My Feet. By taking baby steps together, even through small donations, we can continue to help people move forward to a new and fulfilling life.

http://www.active.com/donate/2012BoMFWasatch100 

Comments

Popular Posts