Where the F**K am I?

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams!  Live the life you've imagined."
Henry David Thoreau 


It's every trail runner's nightmare.
You're in the zone, dodging rocks and roots, flying on the downhill, feeling free and confident; when you realize you haven't seen a trail marker in a while.  You panic......what the hell?  Should I keep going a little further to see if there is a marker coming up soon?  Should I go back to the marker I saw about 20 min ago?  You stop and think....and realize that the only way to get back on track is to head back the way you came.

Dammit.  The whole 2 miles back, you curse yourself.  There goes your opportunity for hitting your race goal.  Three people passed you while you thought you were killing it!  Now you have to put in the extra mileage when your legs already feel like lead, and you curse the dumb ass race director because it must be their fault for such shitty trail marking. You walk for a while,  head down and wallowing in self pity, until you see that trail marker and realize.... it was all you!
It was your mistake.  You're the dumb ass.

I feel like I've been missing the trail marker, and getting lost in my professional life lately.   Am I even on the right freaking path?  Did I make a wrong turn back where the two roads diverged?  Does the trail have to be filled with so many ankle breaking rocks and roots? Why won't anyone help me?  And for God's sake, it's as hot as hell out here!

But going back to my trail roots, I realize that in these times  I have to go back a few miles and remember why I started this journey in the first place.  My life is my choice.  I can choose to use the extra mileage to make me stronger, or I can give up.  It really is as simple as that.
I am the only dumb ass.

When I reluctantly go  back and find the trail markers, I realize that  hey- I was mostly on the right path, I just missed the subtle turn because I wasn't thinking clearly.
I can get back on the right path.  I can still finish the race.

The race is put before me.  The goal is clear.
Put in the mileage and get it done girl........



Comments

Popular Posts