Get out Girl! - On Sisterhood and the Magic of Water

 "Women who support women are confident, generous, visionaries." - Mariela Dabba

From the very moment that I climbed up on my paddleboard taking in the lush, rolling greenery of the hills above and the sparkling reflection of the clear water below, I knew that I was in for a day of natural healing.  Instead of getting out on the lake alone like I usually do, I would be be joining a tribe of strong, beautiful women. What I didn't know however, is that by the end of the weekend, nature's medicine would restore my faith in sisterhood.  

A group of us from DFW surfs women's group went down to Austin last weekend to participate in the 7th year of the Get out Girls PaddleJam;  benefiting Operation Get Out! ,and in honor of two first responders Kristin McLain and Jessica Hollis. According to the Get out Girl website: 

“Kristin Travis was a County Star Flight rescue nurse, and part of starting the first Get Out Girl Paddle Jam in 2014.  Shw was a true Get out Girl who spent most of her off time paddling, wake surfing, skiing and boating on Lake Austin to reset and reconnect after tough shifts as a flight nurse. Jessica Hollis, Travis County Senior Deputy utilized our local lakes similarly, spending family time on them for fun, but also personally benefiting from the calming effects of what being on the water does for your mind and emotions.  Both of these inspiring women shared a commind mind and heart of “blue” that is now being passed forward to touch the lives of other first responders on the water.” 

We will travel 5 miles down the Colorado River, not only to honor these women, but to honor the strong in all women who thrive in the outdoors, and are brave enough to try something new.   Before we start this two hour journey, Cindy- the “Get Out Girl” herself, asks us to close our eyes and to set an intention for what we would like to receive along the way.  I shut one eye in distrust.  What if I float away from everyone else and embarrass myself?  What if this paddleboard has a mind of its own?  You know any time you ask your mind to quiet itself, the smack talk begins….but I do close my eyes, and with a gentle wind blowing on my face I ask for inspiration and joy.

The event itself is relaxing and well organized.  Every mile smiling volunteers are waiting for you with coffee, water or snacks; and tacos, beer and mimosas are waiting for you at the finish.  For me, the event in itself was enough reward.  Everyone was encouraging, funny and easy to talk to.  They are also extremely strong and confident (which I find to be magically appealing) and most importantly- FUN!

Admittedly, it has always been hard for me to be real with other women.  Sure, there are AMAZING women who I have worked with, or who I am friends with, but the truth is that I have always had some feeling of distrust.  I’ve always kept one eye open just in case.  In my brain I’ve used the excuse that I “just don’t like to deal with the drama,” but in my words I taste the bitterness of judgement and jealousy, and a rancid fear of rejection. 

As our group sips on mimosas with our feet dangling in the chilly water to celebrate the end of our 5 mile journey, we hear a sobering sign of distress.  One of the members of our tribe is barely hanging on the side of the pontoon boat at the finish line yelling “Help me!”  Her paddleboard has somehow popped up and under the boat with her foot still attached to the leash.  She is hanging on, but the current is pulling her under.  In an instant, our group leader Tina and another woman (who we later would find out to be a firefighter) jump off of their paddleboards and go into action.  A strong man from the boat holds her arms while Tina swims under the boat, setting her foot free from the leash so she could be pulled up on to the boat.  We all realized that this was truly a dangerous moment….but I SAW what this event was all about....women, those first responders who live their lives to help others KNOWING in turn that they are risking their own lives.  I saw in that moment that we are here to lift each other up, to balance each other out, to remind each other how capable we are, and to encourage each other to live their best lives.  This group would not reject me, they would jump right in and save me if needed. 

We end the weekend eating tacos and watching the sunset over the cliffs at the Oasis restaurant.  Circling up and telling stories, we laugh, celebrate and applaud each other.  Tina leans over and asks me, “why is it that we are all so different , yet get along so well?”  I tell her that I think it’s because we all get it.  We know that nature is the medicine that makes us happier, heather and more connected.  We are brave and strong enough to be a “get out girl”!

I recently wrote for a wellness class that I am taking that “My mission is to use my knowledge, experience and passion through writing and travel, to inspire women to get outside and play so they can be mentally and physically healthy, and have a strong sense of well being.”

I get it now.  How can I inspire other women if deep down I don’t trust them?  I purposefully came to this retreat to try to figure that out- and in my intention to find inspiration and joy, I was welcomed to a tribe of bad ass women.

 



Comments

Popular Posts