Be where you are...because you're already there


“Having spent the better part of my life trying either to relive the past or experience the future before it arrives, I have come to believe that in between these two extremes is peace.”   Author Unknown
Hi.  My name is Jennifer.  I just ran 4 miles at a 10:30 pace and I am dizzy with excitement.  Tomorrow I will try 5 miles, and Saturday 6- with the hopes of not having to stop to walk.  Never mind that 12 weeks ago I was running 60-80 miles a week on rocky, hilly trails preparing for a 100 mile butt kicking in the mountains.  I’m just happy to be running.  Period. 

I admit that during my first run I mourned for the “place where I was BEFORE my injury.”  Will I ever get my endurance and speed back?  Will my foot completely heal?  Am I less of a runner than I was before this monstrous tendonitis took over my foot?  Thankfully, with a few runs under my belt this past week I’ve learned to accept where I am right now, and it’s good.   

It’s easy to cling to the athlete of our past.  So often I hear from people that I coach:
“I was fast in college.”
“I used to be 40 pounds lighter.”
“….but I was younger then.” 

How freeing would it be if we could let go of the past, to be a peace with ourselves in this moment? What if we were grateful for our bodies as they present themselves today?


Today I will enjoy the buzz of my run/walk high, grateful that I have once again been blessed with the gift of running. 

Comments

Popular Posts