Creating balance

"I can't believe that we would like in our graves 
wondering if we had spent our living days well
I can't believe that we would like in our graves 
wondering what we might have been."
Dave Matthews 

In case you weren't aware....I'm a little competitive.
Sometimes I am my only competition, but I always strive to be better, stronger, faster, more efficient
(insert adjective here).
As a self renounced adrenaline junkie, pushing my limits and getting out of my comfort zone completely turns me on, but it does not bode well for creating balance in my life.

The dishes are piled up in my sink, I haven't washed my hair in two days or called my parents in weeks, yet I've done 4 workouts in the past 48 hours, came in top salesperson at work yesterday and I'm caught up on client schedules and communication.  You know.... priorities.

My friend Mike used to joke that "anything worth doing is worth doing to the extreme right?"   Our addiction to running, work, people,  WHATEVER (insert noun here) is just not healthy. But how do we find balance as athletes/workhorses/approval seekers?

I try to think of it this way.  If I knew I was dying at the end of the week, would those extra miles or the fact that you put in 55 hours at work this week really matter?
And if you knew that was the case, what changes would you make?

For me that means spending more time with family and friends.
Playing outside.
Reading.
Going to bed without setting the alarm.
Eating food that is so amazing you close your eyes to savor each bite.
Snuggling under a cozy blanket and letting him pick the movie.
Good wine and intelligent conversation on the porch.
Happy tears
Writing your stories.
And doing all of this without feeling one ounce of guilt or regret.

Thomas Merton said  "Happiness is not a matter of intensity, but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony."
I don't know about you....but I think I'm leaning a little to far to the left.



Comments

  1. "Time with family and friend" - call your parents sooner than next few weeks? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great timing for me to read this, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts