Transitions

"Here she comes now sayin Mony Mony
Shoot 'em down, turn around, come on Mony...."

Billy Idol


One of the hardest parts of the triathlon is nailing the transitions.

When I first jump into the brown, cloudy water, it sucks my breath away- leaving me hyperventilating and panicked.  I find myself dog paddling at the back of the pack until I can finally relax and settle into my breath and stroke.  And then I'm fine.  I could swim all day.

Awkwardly clipping in on the bike, the course is rough and shaky.  My legs burn as I begin the climb.
I can't open my gel pack and I drop my water bottle.  I fear that the whole ride will be a disaster, but the road opens and smooths as I pedal to the beat of Billy Idol's "Mony Mony" dancing in my brain.  Sitting back on the saddle I soften, and then I'm fine.  I could ride all day.

I dismount my bike and my legs are jello.  My ass hurts from the bumpy  road and it's getting hot.
Clumsily, I change my shoes and put on my visor.  I take off.  No wait, my shoelaces aren't tight enough.  I stop and fix them.  I take off.  No wait.  I forgot my sunglasses.  Dammit- I can't go back for them now.  I take off.  Well, more like I run little baby steps on legs that weigh two tons.  I'm passed as I walk up the hill, yet smart enough to catch my breath and take a gel.  The first mile is quite a liar, feeling like mile 25 of a hard marathon; but by mile 2 I feel at home in the rhythmic breath of the run.  My legs grow strong and my confidence grows.  I begin to pass people, and then I'm fine.  I could run all day.

Transitions are tough.  We fear uncertainly and become anxious with change.   That's when I call out the motto- "Keep calm, and carry on."  Keeping transitions as smooth  as possible can make all the difference in your finishing time.
Transitions in life are scary too.  That new job, relationship, baby, a move.......sometimes we feel like we are drowning, or that the road is kicking our ass.
 I've learned from my races that by staying calm and confident, we loosen into our daily flow, and then we really are fine.  Each and every day.



Comments

Popular Posts