Living in the present moment- Just fold the damn clothes!

"Do not dwell in the past, Do not dream of the future.  Concentrate the mind on the present moment."  Buddha

When it comes to folding clothes or putting the dishes away, I am the champion procrastinator.  That pile of clean clothes has been fructifying in a hidden corner of my bedroom all week.  I have an extra 20 minutes to spare this morning, so I set to begin the folding.  
But wait, my coffee cup is empty.  I can't fold clothes with an empty cup of coffee!  Coffee first.
And...I need music.  Pandora first.  
A text beckons on the phone- a client with a question.  Client first.  
Oooh look, someone has sent a friend request on Facebook.  Facebook first.  

As I finally begin folding, my monkey mind begins to race.  
Did I answer that email my boss sent yesterday?  
I wonder what my swim workout is for today.....I should look......
Did I write that appointment in my calendar?  
What should we eat for dinner tonight?  
The thoughts scrambled in my brain were so overwhelming that I had an Oprah "aha" moment. 
I realized the reason why I hated folding clothes.  The simplicity of it all forced me to slow down. 
"All you have to do right now Jennifer is fold these damn clothes.  It's simple.  Make them into a square. Put them in piles.  Walk them to the closet, or put them in a drawer.  Concentrate woman.  Clothes."
So I did.  I concentrated on the clothes.  The socks that my daughter pulls on to play soccer.  The bike shorts that protect my ass on long rides.  My work clothes, black and simple.  The warm towels that I wrap up in after a shower.  The lingerie.....well, we won't go there ;)
And in that moment, I realized these clothes were a blessing, not a chore.  

And- there was a blog to write!  But clothes first...........

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts