How Not to Bonk- in Running and in Life

"If you can't fly, then run, 
If you can't walk, then walk, 
If you can't walk then crawl, 
but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." 
Martin Luther King Jr. 

They say a lesson will keep repeating itself until it is learned; so here I find myself running consistently AGAIN, starting over in my business AGAIN, and facing the challenges that come with any loving sort of relationship- AGAIN.  The questions are still there and the never ending  doubts are STILL there; but thanks to endurance training, I am slowly learning how not to "bonk".

For those of you who may not be familiar with the running term; "bonking or hitting the wall" according to mcmillanrunning.com  is to "reach a point of exhaustion where you experience a sudden or dramatic reduction in your pace.  It's not tiredness.  It's exhaustion of body mind and soul."
Oh man... I've "bonked" a time or two in my life, and it is not pretty.

I climbed that wall again for the first in a long time last Friday as I was running in "feels like" 99 degree heat without acclimation.  I was under prepared, and the demons of humidity sucked my life force like a vampire.
I felt so pissed!  I've been here before, I should know better by now!
Before I knew it, an avalanche of memories washed over me.  Hey dumbass- how about this time, we actually try to apply what we already know works?  For example, I know that:

1. You have to be prepared.  In order to succeed, the right equipment, nutrition and tools are invaluable.  If you don't get in enough calories  or water, your body will stop working for you.  The right shoes, socks and clothing can make or break your race.  And don't even get me started on lube......chafing is not sexy.

2. You need a well thought out plan.  We can all bullshit our way through the day, but do you have a plan to help you to get from point A to point B; or even better from point A to the finish line?  Where even is the finish line?  How is the terrain?  Are there trail markers and aid stations to help you get there?  What small steps can you take today to get a bit closer to the goal.  Know the answers, and plan for them.

3. Find your tribe.  Who do you admire?  Who will help you along the way?  Who is your coach and who makes up your team?  Do they encourage you and lift  you up? We are who we hang out with.

4. Listen to your body.  You can feel it coming.  Whether it's training or life, you know when things feel "off".  Maybe you and your partner haven't been talking as much lately, or you are starting to fight.  Maybe you start coming in later to work because you just don't feel driven anymore, or maybe you have a nagging pain that won't go away.  Listen to your body, rest when you need to, and fill your soul.  This life, this job, this relationship is a fucking ULTRA, not a sprint.

5. If you get a little lost- get back on track.  Ugh- I hate this one!  You're trucking along thinking that you're going the right way, and then you haven't seen a trail marker for a while.  You know you're on the wrong path.  You're not making the money you want to make.  You're looking for your kids who have wandered off the main trail, and you're hoping your relationship isn't headed south.
Back track a bit.  Remember why you started this race in the first place.  Gather those who want to continue on the path with you and find your groove.  You'll still get there - it will just take you a little longer.

6. Finally- remember it doesn't always get worse.  There will be good days and bad days, uphills and downhills, sickness and health.  What do you need to do NOW to get going again.  Maybe it's a day off, or a massage, or dinner with your spouse.  Maybe it's just taking care of yourself by exercising and eating well, or watching a movie that will make you laugh.  What will it take to get you moving and feeling well again?  You always have options.

When I was running the Western States 100, a recurring thought kept popping into my head:  "Just keep doing what you're doing and you will make it to the finish."  As I try to rebuild my business for the 3rd time, train for a race in the Texas heat, and keep those dear to me close; that is my mantra.
With love, passion and relentless forward motion- I will keep showing up.   I will keep doing what I'm doing.
I'll slow down and walk if I need to or crawl if I have to, but one thing I know for sure- the "bonk" doesn't mean the race is over.  It probably means I need to give myself a bit of love and grace.


Comments

Popular Posts