Everyone has a story

I started the morning at 5:00 a.m. outside of the Bridge homeless shelter.  Team Bridge, our 20 people group of both residential and non residential members headed out in our new running shoes to make history.  We were a part of the Back on My Feet Dallas launch, starting out with our first breathtaking one mile run, and ending with an inspirational breakfast of over 600 community members. 

I will never forget the smiles that I saw today, and the love that radiated throughout Main Street Garden Park.  Shouts of  "I did it! and I feel great!" resonated as we made a human chute through which every runner passed at the end.  We became equals, through running, and through our common goals. 

We're a lot alike- you, me, the homeless.  We all need to be lifted up and supported.  We need that pat on the back and that hug.  We need each other. 

Everyone has a story.  Our days are filled with drama, and tragedy, and comedy.  Sometimes they bring despair or regret, but if we're lucky, someone comes along to help us to grow, provide comfort or to  give us hope. 
We are a lot alike because no matter what our story is, everyone wants and needs love. 
I hope that you will consider coming to share your story and your love by volunteering just one morning a week with Back on My Feet.  

"Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
If your cup is full may it be again,
Let it be known there is a fountain,
That was not made by the hands of men. "
Ripple- The Grateful Dead

Comments

  1. How do we participate in this Jennifer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find all of the information that you need on their website:
    http://dallas.backonmyfeet.org/Get-Involved.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running for a Reason! We all talk about it, but you are walking the walk....er....running the run I mean!

    Very inspirational stuff Jenn. Thanks for the nudge forward to act on my own Running for a Reason cause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend, Dave, shared this site and your vision with me. I, too, am a runner and formerly a social worker of sorts. I'm thrilled that such a movement exists - hurray!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts