Come on and touch me baby.....


“Yeah! Come on, come on, come on, come on
Now touch me, baby
Can’t you see that I am not afraid?
What was that promise that you made?”

The Doors

I closed my eyes and slid my achy feet into the warm and welcoming water.  He washed them, gently at first.... becoming more brazen with my responsiveness.    His thumbs, awash in a minty mask, tenderly massaged my calves and I moaned slightly with tingly delight. He buffed my calluses, clipped my cuticles and painted my toenails bright pink (even though one was missing). 
I think I’m in love with the short Asian guy at “Perfect 10” nail salon……    

The gift of touch- how often do we take it for granted?  Drooling a little as your skilled hair dresser massages your head with a delectable shampoo.   Sweet Eskimo kisses with your babies or a fist bump from your teenager.  Having your fingers entwined with your love’s, or breathy kisses on the nape of your neck.   Sex so mind blowing that you don’t care if you ever get out of bed again. 
That’s the stuff.  That’s connection.  That’s living.

Research shows that touch increases the relaxation response and lowers blood pressure.  It reduces pain, and promotes the restoration of your immune system. Even snuggling up to a furry friend (like your dog or cat) melts both your heart and stress. 

When I worked for Back on My Feet, I got in the habit of hugging.  Everyone loves a big bear hug and it has been proven that embracing releases oxytocin, the “bonding hormone”.  It was so amazing to watch people of all different classes and races let their guard down and just love.  To this day I will still give a very inappropriate hug the first time I meet someone.    
You miss it don't you?  Seek out contact.  Get a facial or a massage.  Hug your mom.  Squeeze grandma’s hand.   Love the one you’re with.  Life is too short to miss out on the amazing benefits of touch. 

Comments

Popular Posts