Give thanks in all circumstances

"...give thanks in all circumstances."
1Thessalonians 5:18


"Until you are grateful for the things you have, you will not receive the things you want." 

This resonating quote from John Kralik's book  A Simple Act of Gratitude has created a powerful and life changing  mindset for me.

John writes a story of a troubled life, one like so many of us experience daily.  His relationship, job and financial issues cause debilitating stress.  He has become absorbed in what he believes is a horrible livelihood-  a monster filled existence set out to devour him.  He is tired to the bone and grasping at any straw he can in order to feel adequate.
Let's face it- at times.....any of us could be John. 

On new years day, John has one of those "come to Jesus" moments while out hiking. He clearly hears in his head:  "Until you are grateful for the things you have, you will not receive the things you want." 

Aha.  Damn! A friend told me the same exact thing lately.  It must be true!
In return, I have started to look around to find things that I am truly grateful for, and the positive response to my soul and existence is unparalleled to anything I have ever experienced.

When I am lonely, I am thankful for those who lift me with love and make me smile.
When I am frustrated at work, I give thanks for my amazing colleagues who give their greatest effort  and patience everyday.
When I feel inadequate, I raise up those who realize and remind me of my full potential.
When I worry about finances, I give thanks that my bills are paid.
When I doubt my decisions, I am thankful for a life of passion and adventure. 
But first and foremost I choose to live in the moment.  I've come to realize that the greatest experiences are happening now. 

Trail runs under a full moon.
Corny jokes told by 12 year old boys.
Practicing the art of  liquid eyeliner with your daughter, and still sucking at it.
Texts that say "I love you and I just wanted to make you smile."
No drop bike rides.
Teammates
Warm showers
Hot meals
Strong coffee
Margaritas with your best friend
Stories you don't want to end.
Kisses
Exhaustion
Soulmates
Early bed times
Sleeping in
Challenges
Love. 

When you live in the moment with a heart of gratitude, it truly is all good. 
So in return I challenge you.  What are you thankful for today? Write it down, write a thank you note, and live in the pool of happiness.






Comments

Popular Posts