When the money goes away......


"You don't need diamond rings
Or eighteen karat gold
Fancy cars that go very fast
You know they never last, no, no
What you need is a big strong hand
To lift you to your higher ground
Make you feel like a queen on a throne
Make him love you till you can't come down"

Madonna


First of all, I want to start this post by attesting that I LACK FOR NOTHING.  I eat at least 4 meals a day.  I have clothes that both hang and fold.  The amount of sports equipment I own is almost embarrassing, and my apartment is equipped with both cable and internet.
However, for the first time in my life, money has become an "issue" and I've been forced become mindful of my spending habits. 

The state of mindfulness, what a great place to be!  Mindfulness causes you to to be respectful of your needs, conscientious of your waste, and alert to what is really important to you in your life.

Because I now live on a budget, I look at shopping differently.  Do I need this, or is it something to feed my ego?  Can I get by with the generic brand product?  Does it have to happen now, or can it wait?  Is there any way I can pay less for this?  I've become much more practical, and in return there is a lot less clutter in my life.

Because I make less, I've become less wasteful.  When my kids and I go to dinner, we share or take home leftovers.  I eat what's in the refrigerator and pantry, and have become quite creative with meals. I drink good old fashioned coffee instead of hitting Starbucks every day, and refill my own bottles of water from the tap.
I've learned to "make do," and it actually works.

And being mindful of what I consume, I have come to relish those things are totally worth it: 
Airplane trips and live concerts.
Silky sheets, a fluffy pillow and down comforters.
Goggles that don't leak, a bike you can rely on, and the perfect running shoe.
Bluebell ice cream and warm scones.
A great bra and comfy Uggs.
Sushi dates with your handsome boyfriend, and that second glass of wine.

With simplicity there is peace.  With respect comes understanding.  With gratitude there is joy.

I'm a lucky girl.













Comments

Popular Posts