A promise to myself: I never "have" to run again.

You don't have to try so hard
You don't have to, give it all away
You just have to get up, get up, get up
You don't have to change a single thing.
You don't have to try.
Colbie Caillet


The 5:00 alarm sounds and I hit the snooze three times.  I want nothing more than to sleep in, but I get up because I "have" to run ten miles today, and I promised my daughter I would be home before she woke up.  
There is no questioning whether or not I will go,  I've "had" to run at least 10 miles every Sunday for the past 12 years. 

Having a hard time getting going, I have my little toast and some cinnamon coffee and sit down with a magazine. 

The first article I start to read is about balance.  Looks like it might be a good one, but I'll catch it later, because I "have" to go run.  

Stepping outside the humidity hits me like a wave of nausea and I decide to walk for a bit.  My body, from my neck to my hamstrings is sore from yesterdays workout.  I'm grouchy because all I want to do is have a second cup of coffee, chill on the couch and write.  And then it hit me- so why the hell am I not doing that?  A slow morning is what I've been craving for weeks!  And I turned around and walked home.  


Training is such a tricky balance.  

When we work hard and see success, we think that more is always better. We fight ourselves to the point of exhaustion. We become moody, irritable and tired, as we catalyze deconstructive effects on our body. Why do we do this to ourselves?  Any kind of stress, be it physical, mental or emotional produces hormones and neurochemicals that create inflammation and supress our immune system.  
We are not helping ourselves here people!

So, I vow that I never "have" to workout again. 

 I will train because I want to be successful for an upcoming event, but I will not stress on the off season.  
(And I will have an off season).
I will workout with you because it is fun to get stronger together. 
I will run trails because that is where I feel most free.
I will swim because it creates balance in my life.  
I'll bike with the group that helps build camaraderie and friendship.
I will walk when I need to. 

But today, I will eat banana pancakes with my daughter. 


  




Comments

  1. Once this level of balance is established, life takes on a new meaning both personally and athletically. Your daughter will LOVE that fact that you are so engaged with her and appreciate your accomplishments as a strong female too. Great job! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful! I fight that all the time, and am usually such a slacker, I use any excuse to bail!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts