'Cause Life is Short but Sweet for Certain.......

"Celebrate we will
'Cause life is short but sweet for certain.
We're climbing two by two to be sure these days continue.
These days we cannot change."
Dave Matthews


"The meaning and purpose of life is for you to become the best version of yourself."
This simple, yet profound statement from Matthew Kelly's The Rhythm of Life has completely changed my life. 

So many times when feeling lost I have questioned, "Is this the place where I'm supposed to be?   Why did that have to happen?  Am I serving my purpose?" 
But according to Kelly, God's dream for you is to become the best version of yourself. 
That's it! 
Period.

So, about 3 months ago I decided that everyday I would set my intention on being the best version of myself as the day's events unfolded.  Taking one moment at a time, I began to concentrate wholeheartedly on my words, my actions, my thoughts, my reactions.....and asked myself if I was truly being the best version of myself in each moment. 
Sometimes the best version of myself needed to eat, exercise or take a nap. 
Sometimes the best version of myself needed to really listen, or be a friend. 
Sometimes the best version of myself needed to meditate or chill.
Sometimes the best version of myself needed to dig deeper at work.
And sometimes the best version of myself meant choosing love over fear. 

And wow-  things have changed. 
I made the decision that mediocrity was unacceptable in my relationships and at work, allowing me to flourish.
I learned to treat my body with respect, to take lunch breaks and days off.   To better listen for when to push and when to back off.  To love the skin that holds my soul.
I've apologized.  I  made the phone call that needed to be made 3 years ago.  I ask more questions, and I've reached goals once thought unattainable. 

It makes perfect sense.  You no longer need to wander around aimlessly! 
Every day, every hour, every minute mindfulness can lead to the discovery of who we are. 
In the words of Robert Louis Stevenson, "To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming is the only end of life."  You were born to become the best version of yourself.
Celebrate.  For life is short but sweet for certain........
 







Comments

Popular Posts