Peace, Gratitude, and Tight Hamstrings



As I settle onto the yoga mat in child’s pose, my back aches and my knee revolts.  “Just breathe,” I tell myself, noticeably pissed at my body.  I pull up into down dog and my calves are tight, and through each sun salutation I find myself growing angrier and angrier as I discover new aches and pains.

And then, through grace, I begin to laugh. 
“This is ridiculous,” I think to myself.  “You’re here to feel better and get stronger, not to beat the shit out of yourself with every pose. Either be grateful, or have compassion.”

As I moved through each pose I became more intentional with my thoughts. When I felt tightness, or pain, or if I was unable to complete the pose; my mantra became “find compassion.”  If I felt strong and capable in a pose; my thoughts were “be grateful.”  Acceptance overtook frustration, and I was able to flow through the practice calmly. 

I think sometimes life is like that, we feel anger or frustration and we tense up and make it worse.  Perhaps we yell or scream. Maybe we want to fight or run away.  What if we were to look at the situation with compassion, and stretch our way gently through it?    

It’s time for me to get back on the mat.  I’m pretty convinced this is the only way that my mind and body will be able to shake hands in a truce, and for my soul to rediscover peace. 

Comments

Popular Posts