The Next Big Thing

“And since the 1960’s, many of these women grew up with the message, ‘You can accomplish anything.’ This all adds up to a restless craving to realize their potential.” ~ Marcia Reynolds Psy.D 

Carrying this human body, with its big old brain and raging hormones can be maddening sometimes.  One day, I'm flying high on cloud 9, in love with everyone and everything; and the next I am sickened by society and self, questioning my existence.  I often wonder if this is “normal,” but it seems that when I write or post on Facebook about how I’m feeling, someone always seems to get it- so I suppose it is. 

Lately, I feel as if I am never doing enough.  When I was training for races and working all the time that was “enough”.  It’s funny how now that I have created space for reading, writing and free time, my ego doesn’t know what the hell to do.  I even thought that perhaps I was having a mid-life crisis of some sort.  Searching for answers, I found the article “What a Female Mid Life Crisis Looks Like” by Marcia Reynolds who describes it not as a mid-life crisis, but as a “mid-life quest for identity.”   She believes that for women, “it’s not about recovering lost youth, but about discovering the next application of their greatness.”  This makes sense to me, for I am always in search of “the next great thing to master,” whether it be writing, or taking a class, or getting a new certification.  There is a constant need to prove myself. 

Dr. Reynolds suggests that we ask ourselves the following questions:
-What do I feel I should have done by this time in my life? 
-Is there something more important and fulfilling that I can focus on now?
-What do I want more of in life?  What have I imprisoned that is crying to be free?
-How can I ensure my commitment to living a significant life?

I found in asking myself these questions, I was able to understand that my ego is doing all of the talking for me, and that I’ve been searching for worth outside of myself.  I also know deep down that in my current job, I have been caught up on my “to do” lists, and not focusing on others with the true intention of supporting them with love. 

 We are not our identity, for our stories can change in an instant.  Through mindfulness we can discover a new thought, person or soul in each and every moment of our lives.  The "next great thing" is happening right now.  Go and get it.

Comments

Popular Posts