What are you craving?

"help me
i broke apart my insides
help me
I've got no soul to sell
help me
the only thing that works for me
help me get away from myself"

nine inch nails

I think that most people would say I eat fairly healthy.  I try to follow Michael Pollan's manifesto "Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants,"  but after a long endurance event I swear that I would wrangle the steer and ride him to the slaughter house myself for a cheeseburger, and swim in the vat of oil for fries covered in salt.
I know teacher's who have practically beaten the vending machine with a broom at 2 p.m. in desperate need of their "happy hormone" chocolate fix, and it's no secret that Starbuck's has a hold on millions of people jonesing for their next shot of espresso.
We WANT it.  No we NEED it.  We CRAVE it.

"Food cravings arise to satisfy emotional needs, such as calming stress and reducing anxiety," says Drewnowski, a well-known researcher on taste and food preferences.  Comfort foods often take us to a place with happy memories.  And face it....most of the food we crave tastes soooo good!

But food isn't the only thing we hunger for in this palatial world we live in.  We lust after money and power.   We ache for passion and touch.  We dream about peace and quiet.  We thirst for excitement and adventure.  It feels soooo good!   But because so many times we find ourselves relying on other people or other things to give us our happiness fix, we often experience the withdrawal symptoms of irritability  and depression that results when our dealers disappoint us.  

Aristotle stated that "happiness depends on ourselves." Your bliss is not another person's responsibility, and in return you are off the hook when it comes to their contentment.  We are independently prosperous.  Independently gratified.  Independently blessed.

Sometimes we forget that all that we need, is within us.
God, The Universe, Love Everlasting......everything you crave is in your own soul.
And we are full.



Comments

Popular Posts