One year after Western States....what I know.

"Life is a mystery, 
Everyone must stand alone
I hear you call my name
And it feels like home"

Madonna

I love running in the mountains so much.  There is no place I would rather be and when I am there I literally never want to leave; so when the opportunity to run Western States came to me last year through a sponsorship through Libby Jones and The Active Joe- it was indeed a dream come true.   You can read about that experience here:
http://jennrun100.blogspot.com/2014/07/powerful-beyond-belief-ws-100-race.html

Last year at this time, my life was a whirlwind of chaos and change.  Jorge and I had separated, and the crazy emotions that came with that rocked my world.  I quit my very unsatisfying job teaching (sorry- that was just me- I am in awe of teachers and all they do!) and started my own coaching business while also working for Run On!  My financial status was shaky at best, and I was so unsure of myself that I jumped out of an airplane just to prove to myself that I still had some guts.

Now as Forrest Gump would say, "Ultras are like a box of chocolates- so delicious....but you never know what you're going to get."  ( or something like that).
At Western States I was fighting a battle that has never been presented to me before-  THE CUTOFF  (cue daunting music).

That whole damn race I did everything "right".  My nutrition was spot on.  I didn't go out too fast.
I stopped to take care of my feet when I needed to. I smiled at the aid station workers and was mostly cordial to my amazing pacers.  I was one of 10 racers who ran a negative split, but the whole time I was fighting the damn cutoff.  I even heard the warning horns at one point for God's sake!

Doesn't it seem that in endurance racing there is always something?
It could be the heat, humidity, a side stitch, your stomach, stupid mistakes, going out too fast, falling off a cliff.......  That's just ultra racing.  Deal with it sister.

Doesn't it seem like in life there is always something?  An unexpected bill.  An injury.  You're too busy at work.  You gain weight.  Your kids get sick.  Your best friend dies.
Life.
Yep- you know what to do......

During Western States I kept hearing over and over in my head by my late friend and coach Mike (of that I'm positive) that if I just keep doing what I'm doing, I would be ok.  I would finish.
Yesterday, I was all knotted up  about building my personal training business, and what did I hear once again in my head?  Just keep doing what you're doing.  Stay patient.  You'll be a success.

In the past year I've started a new job where happiness greats me every single day.    Through love and forgiveness on both ends our broken relationship has been mended. I've stepped out of my comfort zone and completed an Ironman. I am working on book ideas,  dreaming of making enough money to travel the world,  doing my best to help others find their true potential, and am allowing more time to spend with my family and friends for fun and play.

What I know is that there will always be something.  Just keep doing what you do.  You are already a badass, and at the finish line it's completely worth it.







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts