"It's not stress that kills us.
It's our reaction to it."
Some days, I completely overreact, and Thursday was one of those stressful days.
Perhaps it was for you too? The "gas panic" in Dallas was out of control, causing heavy traffic anywhere near a gas station. Abundant fear caused abundant stress, and I lost 2 clients. This, on top of the guilt most of us have been facing being so close yet, unaffected by Harvey (except for wonderfully cool temps)has made it a bit of a challenging week. Personally- I've been in a complete funk.
In her article " 20 ways to Relax and Unwind," Magarita Tartakovsy explains that "Sometimes when we're exhausted, we gravitate toward activities that drain us more, or we think that we don't deserve a break." My hand is raised. Anyone else?
If we just worked harder, of course we would be more successful and feel better! Well, I'm here to tell you Dallas, we need to chill the f*ck out, or we're all going to explode, both literally and figuratively. Yes, literally explode- at least our heart will.
So- I've made a list of things that help me to chill the f*ck out. Perhaps they'll help you too.
(In case you're asking for a friend.)
1. Get outside and play. Improved overall health, reduced stress and depression, improved sleep, beautiful trails, mating rabbits and dragonflies. What else can I say?
2. Phone a friend. Talking to someone helps you to look at your problems in a different way. Maybe they're not so bad....or maybe its time to make a change. Therapists listen to your problems without judging. Get it the hell out! I get by with a little help from my friends. (stole that).
3. Get a massage. Physical touch distinguishes us from other animals, and humans need touch to thrive. Pair that with the medical benefits and you have a win win. Ask me for a referral.
4. Have sex.
Speaking of touch. 7 reasons.
Right here: https://www.everydayhealth.com/sexual-health/seven-healthy-reasons-to-have-sex-right-now.aspx
An unnamed ex and I used to call it "time for a tension breaker." For a reason!
Surprise your significant other tonight, in the name of science.
5. Stay present. Do one thing at a time. It's probably not as bad as you think.
6. Be grateful! Keep a gratitude journal. What things are awesome right now? Do I really need to worry so much? Practice mindfulness. Tell someone how much you appreciate them.
7. Meditate. I KNOW you say that you can't sit still, but you can. Really. Concentrate on your breath and watch the shit that is piling up in your mind be shoveled away.
8. Listen to music. Music can bring us in, or be a distraction. As a unique link to our emotions, it can be an extremely effective stress management tool.
9. Get in the water. Let it caress and hold you. How is the temperature? Unwind. Breathe.
10. Eat amazing food. Drink amazing wine. Hang out with amazing people.
This is purely my philosophy, because life is short. It has to be the good stuff, and the good people though. People that lift you up and make you smile. Food so good you close your eyes to savor it. Wine- because wine. Get rid of the shit food, and the shit drink and the shit people.
All toxic. Period.
So- can I get an AMEN? Can we agree that its time to chill the f*ck out?
To live our most abundant and authentic life?
Happy to hear what works for you too. Cheers!