How lucky you are.....you think the world was made for you

"You're 50 years old, and you still think the world was made for you."
Ananya- in the movie Brad's Status

On rare occasions we go to see movies (mainly so Greg can eat popcorn), but its even more uncommon that a movie can affect me as much as Brad's Status did when I saw it today.
I had to get out on my bike for an hour this afternoon to process Mike White's way of getting our attention about what is important in life, because I felt so unsettled afterward.

In the movie Brad Sloan, founder of a non-profit agency,  experiences a confidence crisis as he starts comparing his life to the lives of friends that he went to college with.  Even though Brad has a sweet wife who works for the government, a prodigy son, and a cozy house in Sacramento, he compares himself to his buddies...constantly making up stories in his mind of how wonderful their "successful" lives must be.  He becomes obsessed with the fact that their grass seems greener, only to find out that they too have troubles of their own.

The quote in this movie that really made me think comes when Brad is talking to his son's beautiful, idealistic visionary friend, Ananya- a college student attending Harvard.

Brad: (after telling Ananya she should forget non-profit and go make money)
"Do I sound jaded?  I started out as idealist as any of your friends are over there."

Ananya:  "You know what I'm thinking?  I'm thinking how lucky you are.  You're 50 years old and you still think that the world was made for you. The people in my country, they make $2.00 a day, and are just trying to figure out where their next meal is coming from."

It felt like someone hit me on the head with a frying pan.
You still think the world was made for you.  

At a time when I've had some pretty important choices to make that seem to be a complete blow to my ego's "status,"  this made so much sense.
You think the world was made for you- what if people think you're a failure?
You think the world was made for you- you deserve more.
You think the world was made for you- others owe you something.
You think the world was made for you- it's all about me.
You think the world was made for you-  you think you have time.

So many times the world tells me otherwise......but damn, it's really not all about me.
It's not about my business, or my accomplishments, or how people perceive me. It's not about my Facebook status, or relationship status, or political views.  It's not about first place, or "making others proud" or trying to prove myself.

It's about belief in a higher good.
It's about a desire to make a positive difference in people's lives.
Its about vulnerability, and team work.
It's about "love your neighbor as yourself."
It's about looking people in the eye.
It's about us. You+me.

Together- we can do anything.
Would you be willing to let go of your ego, if you knew you could make the world a better place?
For me- the answer today is yes.  Let's do this.








Comments

Popular Posts